Author Topic: Consumables prices & Greetings!  (Read 2974 times)

junglist443

• View Profile
Consumables prices & Greetings!
« on: April 30, 2015, 03:01:12 PM »
I'm new here, hello everybody! Not an owner of the OSSA but planning on it and i have a couple of questions before i make my mind.

Since there is no dealer in my country to run some questions, i taught i'll ask here since you guys have some experience. (the closest dealer i think it's in Austria or Hungary, can't remember but still far away)

Looking at the owners manual, it should be cheap to run overall. The thing i'm most concerned about is how much does a piston kit costs you guys ? Saw a kit (B) on trialstribulations.net hoovering at 160 uk punds and that is expensive compared to other 2T like the KTM FR250R witch you can find a kit for 150 us dollars. Found some pistons on italkit.com but they don't show the prices there, might be cheaper.

I'm asking this because if i buy the Explorer, i will use it for a daily commute (a total of 15 km, 5 days a week, strictly busy city traffic) since it will be the only means of transportation i can afford. That being said, piston will wear out sooner than expected, when the manual states that the piston should be changed once a year i think it will be way sooner than that in my case.

Lotus54

• View Profile
Re: Consumables prices & Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 12:32:29 AM »
I have over 185 hours on my Explorer, everything is fine- no engine work yet.

I assume speeds with traffics will be slow?
 I don't like riding on the street that much, but I run very low tyre pressures. It also like being ridden standing a LOT better. I can be shifted sitting, but with the trials shifter it is not like a regular bike.
 Not the  best machine for commuting, but for those distances and speeds I'm sure it would be ok.

I hope you will be use it for trails and trials also?

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer

junglist443

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 02:18:27 PM »
Yep traffic speeds will be really slow, chugging along at 40-60km/h between traffic lights. Think busy Europe cities, with lots of traffic lights, cars and narrow streets, most part of the commute will be waiting for the green light (with a push bike i am averaging 18 minutes from home to work, with a taxi around 25 minutes).

And yes again, the main use would be during the weekends for trails/trials.

185 hours is a lot compared to the KTM sibling witch requires a piston kit every 100 hours if i've done my homework right, and the OSSA is cheaper overall (~6300 euros).

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 05:52:08 PM »
The recommended service on KTM is really if racing I think.
Seems the OSSA is the same way- if running it really hard perhaps it would require pistons etc that often.

Of course, I have not opened my engine up to see the condition either.
Last time I had the exhaust head pipe off I looked up the exhaust port and what I could see of the piston was good (can't see much)
Maybe I'll borrow a boroscope and look down the sparking plug hole sometime.

I am running it pretty easy 99% of the time. Might not be a bad idea just to buy a piston and gaskets to have around, since I plan on keeping the bike a long time.

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer

junglist443

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 06:14:04 PM »
If you do commit on buying a piston kit and/or checking the current state of the engine please keep us posted (prices, producers, dealers, piston wear, etc).

Thanks for the replies and info, happy riding.

Dorin