Author Topic: Update on an Explorer after 14 months and 145 hours  (Read 2046 times)

Lotus54

• View Profile
Update on an Explorer after 14 months and 145 hours
« on: July 20, 2014, 12:26:01 AM »
Thought I'd put up an update on the bike so far.

Overall, I love it! Fantastic bike for how I use it. Mostly trail riding, best on the hardest trails. Not so hot on really fast trails. It will do it- but really always looking for tight stuff!

Problems/issues

1. Broken chain tensioner spring.
2. Flakey fuel cap
3. Broken wire to speed sensor
4. Broken suspension Link (my fault)
5. Bent rear brake mount (my fault- but I don't like the setup)
6. Crappy stock brake pedal- ditched it for TR pedal- perfect!
7. Failed front wheel bearings at 88 hours (common on my KTM where I ride also)
8. Wore hole in seat before I started riding properly (was gripping with legs)
9. Plugged aftermarket Spark Arrestor (fixed with little mudflap)
10. Stock chain is crap- replaced with DID Narrow, great now.
11. Biggest issue- not enough time to ride!!!

As you can see, all are pretty minimal items or my fault. Things like wheel bearings are disposable around here with all the water and mud.

No failed plastics or broken tabs/mounts. Hard to start twice- both times due to my giving throttle without thinking and an older sparking plug.
Has not lost any coolant, ever. No leaks (except crappy fuel cap)- runs perfectly all the time (except when I plugged the non-stock spark arrestor).
The bike has been a delight- the light weight is fantastic, it is teaching better riding habits and I'm having a blast with it. Never once have I wished I didn't get it,more had gotten something else. My old KTM 300'XCW was fantastic, but I enjoy this much more (except for really fast-'rough stuff).

I'm learning loads on how to ride 'with' the bike, allowing it to do the work. I'm still learning to trust it.

I highly recommend the bike to someone that wants a super  light bike  that is very responsive. It Definately wants to be ridden standing- but I do all day rides with no problem at all, almost never sitting. Learn to rest standing, use your legs and not your arms, ride very loose and relaxed.

Mark
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:40:11 AM by Lotus54 »
2014 OSSA Explorer

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Update on an Explorer after 8 months and 88 hours
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 03:46:20 AM »
Great feedback on the Explorer. Thanks for the report!

Is there any fix for the fuel cap?

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 03:17:44 AM »
I'm going to drill a hole and install a tube so I can mount a short breather hose and one  way valve.
2014 OSSA Explorer

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 03:02:26 PM »
100 hours.

1. I had to adjust idle and reset the TPS. It was running rich. That seems to have solved it.
     Interestingly, after adjusting idle the TPS voltage was spot on. So perhaps the stop wore a bit?

2. Lower 'main' tank cap started leaking badly. I glued it I for now, but exploring permanent fix.
    The short hose and one way valve with O ring on tank seems to have solved the leaky upper tank cap leak.

Still like it more every time I ride it!
2014 OSSA Explorer

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 01:18:22 AM »
Update 145+ hours.

Working great!

A few things I've learned.
1. I run a hotter plug, works much better.
2. Run A mud flap over the spark arrester (aftermarket). Mud will clog it otherwise.
3. Keep an eye on the fitting in the top of the main fuel tank cap. It can leak.
4. Fuel cap is still crap.
5. Clake 2 is fantastic!
6. Fit the trials brake pedal stock is horrible.
7. 100:1 Motorex has worked great.
8. Zip tie the one corner of the side covers, they won't fall off and it works fine.
9. Clean/lube rear suspension fairly often in the mud.
10. Keep an eye on the kick start screws.
11. Michelin x-11 Tubless with the Tubliss system works fantastic.
12. Check and replace AAA rechargeable battery in EasyStart
2014 OSSA Explorer

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 06:42:25 AM »
Thanks for the update Lotus! Would love to see a pic of the cover for the spark arrester if you can post it. I never would have thought of that.

Lotus54

• View Profile
Re: Update on an Explorer after 14 months and 145 hours
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 03:49:37 AM »
I forgot to take a picture today of the spark arrestor mudflap. Just a piece of old inner tube.

One more thing I should note.
If you ride in lots of mud and water- service the suspension bushings often.
That is the only servicing I would like to have better for the the type of use I do.
It it had zerk fittings for all of those bushings, it would be super easy. Just push through enough lube to clean out the gunk every ride or two. I'll bet that would increase the life of the bushings and shafts 10-fold.

Someone mentioned cross-drilling them, but it would  be better if they came that way from the factory.
I've replaced the bushings a couple of times, and doing the  swingarm ones this time. That one has a seal (well, sort of) but none of the others do.

For trials or dry weather it is not really a concern, but I ride LOTS of mud and water this time of year.
It is pretty easy to pull the swingarm off and clean/lube the bushings, but it would be a lot easier to pump pit through with a grease gun! Taking it apart every so often, but personally I'd recommend doing it fairly often if you ride like I do.

Still the best bike out there for the really nasty trails!
Heading up in the mountains January 1st- one of my favorite trails. Hope there isn't too much snow!
Another trail ride on the 2nd, then a trial on the 4th. Lots of riding this holiday!

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer