Author Topic: gas cap  (Read 773 times)

Viper

• View Profile
gas cap
« on: June 29, 2014, 11:24:03 PM »
I like to do big hill climbs but now im scared to. If I dont make it up and end up tipping my bike over, gas comes pouring out of the hole in the gas cap... If this happens a few times during my ride the amount of gas I have left becomes jeopardized... Anyone have a quick fix maybe plug it up with some putty?

Lotus54

• View Profile
Re: gas cap
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 12:20:12 AM »
The cap must be vented.
 BUT another method could be used.
I've been thinking of installing a breather hose with one way valve like my KTM had on it.
I don't think it would be hard.

Drill out the  little hole, bold or bond in a fitting, install something like this.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/17218/i/factory-effex-gas-tube-vent-cap-with-tube?WT.ac=SLIsearch

2014 OSSA Explorer

AM407

• View Profile
Re: gas cap
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:27:45 AM »
Yes, that cap/tank is ridiculous. I thought I finally had it figured out when I learned to fill the tank by ear: you can't really see the level until it's too late (overfilled), but by going slow and listening, I can consistently fill the tank to about an inch or so below the top of the filler neck.

I'd have thought that would be sufficient, but the gas expands enough in the heat that it still manages to shoot through the vent after only a few minutes of running. On our last ride on a 28 degree Celsius day, the gas was actually shooting out like a fountain and landing half way back on the seat!

Luckily, we rarely ride more than 50-60 kilometers at a time, so I suppose I can get away with only filling the top tank to half full. But of course there's no way to see the fuel level, so who knows whether you're at 1/3, 1/2, 3/4 or whatever!?!

One-way valve for the vent sounds like a great idea!