Author Topic: 180km single track riding  (Read 2314 times)

Viper

• View Profile
180km single track riding
« on: April 28, 2014, 03:13:03 AM »
Im planning on taking my Explorer on a 180 km single some minimal double track ride. But I need to think of a way to carry more fuel. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking using a rotopax on the rear fender but the rear fender doesnt have much support to hold the weight....

Lotus54

• View Profile
Re: 180km single track riding
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:43:32 AM »
Acerbis makes an aux tank that fits on the handlebars- I have one (never used it)
http://shops.hookit.com/acerbis/ViewProduct/AuxiliaryHandlebarFuelTank-06gal/4072.aspx

Also one that goes where the headlamp would go.

I think I would make a rakc of some sort that maybe mounted to the passenger pegs if I was mounting a rear tank.
Much weight back there would really change th pe balance I think.

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer

bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 06:35:13 AM »
My Explorer seems to have a very good tank range, I reckon 80 miles plus. To complete your journey you're going to need 111 mile range [lets round it up to 130 to be on the safe side]. I usually work on 10 miles per litre consumption so you'll need to carry about 5 litres of fuel to give you a decent safety margin, which is about 5kg in weight. I like the look of the Acerbis handlebar tank, It's siphonic and so once you're under way it will draining and the undesirable weight on the 'bars will be diminishing.

I usually carry a 2 or 3 litres of fuel in fuel containers in my rucksack and I reckon if you use an Acerbis auxiliary tank and carry three litres in a rucksack you'll be good to go. If you keep an eye on the handlebar tank and top it up before it empties you'll complete the final half of the journey with no weight on your back or the 'bars. Years ago when competing in long distance trials on my TY Yam I used to carry 5 litres of fuel in Sigg fuel bottles in my rucksack. They were a bit weighty but they did the job and could be distributed evenly around the rucksack.
If you don't like the idea of carrying fuel on your back it might be possible to fit a couple of bicycle type bottle carriers to the passenger footpeg mounts [as Mark suggested] You could carry a couple of fuel bottles there and the weight would be nice and low.

Here's a pic from the Edinburgh Trail a few years ago showing the Sigg bottles. I'd been riding for about 18 hours at this stage and wasn't particularly concerned about fuel spillages!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 06:36:49 AM by bob »

Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 03:32:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I found a website in australia that has a backpack that can carry 3.5 litre fuel and a separate  compartment for 3 liter water. Im gonna fab something to mount a 1 gallon rotopax on rear fender wit a rack.
Anyone wit a explorer in canada that wants to do this ride in kamloops bc? Its a organized ride with about 100 people using roll charts!

bob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 06:06:04 AM »
You'll need to fabricate a strong subframe to support the rear fender, there's no way the fender will support the weight of some fuel bearing down on it unless it has some additional support.
Sounds like a great ride, I assume all 100 riders won't be setting off at the same time!

Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 07:18:42 AM »
Yeh im gonna try to figure something out, if I cant I got other bikes to ride. I might just end up riding my sherco 300sefr but that also might have problems cause no aftermarket companies make a big tank for shercos.... atleast the subframe will be a little stronger then the ossa.
Yeh this ride is lots of fun, there lots of unexpected that can happen in middle of nowhere lol. They will have a A, B and C loop. C will be all logging roads with some paved roads. B will be a mix of single track and logging roads and then A will be majority single track with some dual track. So all 100 people will not be in the same trail lol. I think only about 30 will be doing the A loop.

bob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 08:29:10 AM »

I bought an Acerbis handlebar tank to test and fitted it to one of the bikes I run on my hire fleet. It's a very good piece of kit and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to extend the range of their bike. To fit it to an Explorer you'd need to make an adapter for the gas tank cap to connect the auxiliary tank. Once you've mounted the brackets on the handlebars the auxiliary tank can be removed [if required] in a few seconds.