Author Topic: 2014 ossa tr300i just arrived-initial thoughts and differences between my gasgas  (Read 2375 times)

sweetgas

• View Profile
Here are a few of the things I don't like about the ossa. Most of them very small. And less of them than any other trials bike I have owned so far. Some of them are issues with any trials bike, some are specific to the ossa. Let me know if you have any solutions.

Front fender too close to the tire- it bounces against the tire over little bumps. Also with any trials bike, a little bit of mud can lock the front tire. Partial solution: stuff a rag between the tire and fender overnight to bend the fender farther away from the tire. I bet you could also put some washers under the front fork brace to lift it up a bit more.

The higher the elevation, the slower the idle is. To the point that above 9500 feet the bike won't idle at all. This problem is lessening the more the bike gets broken in. Solution: adjust the throttle position a bit on the right side of the bike.

Kickstand is in too close to the bike making it easier to tip over.

The automatic retract of the kickstand dings up the swing arm.

Gas cap is harder take off than my gg. Solution could be to switch to the gasgas style cap? Lewisport should soon have an aluminum cap that should help.

Very difficult to tell how full the gas tank is and to not over fill it.  Over filling it causes you to leak gas on every rock you go over. A small nozzle on the gas can would help, but I can't find any.

The engine oil breather tube hose is a bit too short, causing oil to get spit on the rear brake reservoir. Solution: I got a longer hose form Lowe's.

To put a number plate on takes a bit more work than other bikes because there is a black box (capacitors) that you then need to mount to the back of your number plate some how.

Clutch is slightly stiffer than my gg.

The hand made aluminum muffler wasn't made with the greatest precision. The bends and welds aren't as nice as they could be.

This seems like a lot of bad things, but you should see my list of stuff for GasGas, Sherco, and Beta. This is nothing.

In general, I love the Ossa. I like how the power comes on. I like the balance. I like the location of everything (exhaust pipe, radiator, air filter etc)  the most noticeable difference between the 2 bikes when riding one and then the other is the factory settings on the suspension. The '13 gg raga had too much rebound.

If i had to do it over again, I would buy the OSSA again.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 06:23:42 PM by sweetgas »

trialsage

• View Profile
Glad you are liking the bike in general-- we will hopefully have the new aluminium gas cap soon-- sounds like you have a solution for the fender etc etc-- please don hesitate to contact us if you need any help with anything.
Ossausa

Lotus54

• View Profile
I thought the fender may be too close, but I over 75 hours of trail riding (and 4 trials) I've yet to have any issue at all with it.
Even with really sticky mud I didn't have any sort of problem.
I do run the pressures low and perhaps that helps flick the  mud off?

My understanding is you shouldn't adjust the idle without setting the TPS.
  There is a new throttle body avaliable that solves that, but I don't know the price.

Trialsage-good to see you got on!

Mark
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 08:00:33 PM by Lotus54 »
2014 OSSA Explorer