Author Topic: Explorer misfire ...interesting conclusion  (Read 907 times)

bob

• View Profile
Explorer misfire ...interesting conclusion
« on: April 26, 2014, 12:30:44 PM »
The recent misfire which had plagued my Explorer had an interesting conclusion which I thought I'd share. The bike was cutting out on descents and at traffic junctions etc. Nothing showed up on the diagnostics and then my local Ossa dealer noticed a frayed wire leading the the rear light. Presumably the wire had become frayed when the mudguard fell off . This was creating a short circuit when the brake was applied [such as when riding downhill of stopping at junctions :-[ ] Modern ignition systems with ECUs and such like don't like these kind of problems and this is why the bike was misbehaving. Full marks to the dealer for spotting it, I reckon I could have chased my tail for months with that one. Of course if the mudguard hadn't fallen off in the first place...

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Explorer misfire ...interesting conclusion
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:40:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing what you found. Glad you got it sorted!

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 03:44:51 AM »
Good things to know.

Like my strange spark arrestor 'mud issue' if you have heard about it, that can be a first thing to check.

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer

bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 08:12:45 AM »
Hi Mark,
We don't have spark arrestors in the UK, in fact I've never seen one. I presume they are a safety feature if using the bike in areas prone to fire such as forests or grassland?
Bob

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 07:49:41 PM »
Yes, they are required for most of the riding areas ( even though it is quite wet here much of the time).

The one I have is an add on unit, slides right over the end of the muffler 'tailpipe'
It is a simple screen type.  The mud would build up and get baked on, mixing with carbon also I think.
The little mudflap solved it.

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer