Author Topic: Contact at Ossa in Spain?  (Read 1302 times)

bob

• View Profile
Contact at Ossa in Spain?
« on: April 17, 2014, 10:14:19 AM »
Sadly the Explorer let me down yesterday when it developed a misfire, stalling on descents and refusing to idle. Unfortunately I was about to set off to enter the Land's End Trial in Cornwall which starts tomorrow and I've had to scrub my plans.
The reason I'm posting is I would like to ask if anyone has a contact within the Spanish factory who they might be able to refer me to. Getting a response from Ossa UK is proving to be virtually impossible and I feel I'm going to need to speak directly to the factory to get the various issues with the bike resolved . If anybody has an email address for an English speaking contact within the factory I'd be grateful.
It's very disappointing to miss the Land's End Trial, it's the 92nd year of the event and I should have been 3rd man away in what looks like potentially perfect weather conditions. The Explorer would have been ideal... maybe next year.

There's a bit more stuff on the blog http://adventurerideblog.wordpress.com/

AM407

• View Profile
Re: Contact at Ossa in Spain?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:59:53 PM »
Ouch, sorry to hear that. I enjoy reading your blog, and hopefully there's still a chance the shop will be able to get it fixed in time.

I've had a few minor issues with the bike, but nothing like that. We bought it used last fall with around 20 hours on it. Only rode it a few hours, then put it away for the winter. Only issue I had was a swing arm pivot bolt that worked distressingly loose, but I tightened it and hoped it wouldn't be a recurring issue.

This spring we trailered the bike 2,000 kms south to get an early start to the riding season (we're in Canada). I didn't really have enough experience with the bike to be confident that it would last for the two week trip, but hoped for the best.

I'm happy to say that my wife managed to put another 20 hours and probably 3-400 kms on it without any major issues. I had to replace the rear wheel bearings half way through the trip, and the cylinder has a bit of a leak at the base gasket, but the bike ran well the whole time and never stranded us so I am happy.

I'm used to my KTMs, which have always been bulletproof with just routine maintenance. We'll see how the Ossa works out over time, but it's the perfect bike for us, so I'm willing to cut it some slack, as long as the issues aren't major. So far, so good. Hope you can get yours sorted out.

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:16:26 AM »
Yes, I'm very sorry to hear of the issues with your bike.
Mine has been great- about 75 hours now I think.
So far as good as my KTM 300 was.

Hope they take care of you.

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer

bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 09:50:09 AM »
The rear wheel bearings in my Explorer are also at the end of their life, although it seems to be a very short service I don't see this as an issue, the bike gets used very regularly in harsh conditions and bearings are an acceptable consumable given the working conditions.
 Despite all the problems I still think the Explorer is an exceptional bike but whether I keep it will very much depend on how Ossa deals with issues over the next couple of weeks. I tried ringing the factory in Spain yesterday but the phone would ring for a minute with no answer and then go dead . Not very confidence inspiring...
The UK importer won't come to the phone on Wednesdays because it's a do-not-disturb day to enable him to catch up on workshop duties.
I'm OK with this Ma and Pa attitude to running a business so long as it's backed up by a proper response within a reasonable time. My definition of a reasonable time would be two or three working days. I've been extremely polite and reasonable throughout all these problems but unfortunately I suspect my laid back attitude has been misinterpreted for weakness .
Importing small quantities of low volume niche product is a tough way to earn a living . I'm sympathetic to this and don't expect the sort of response I'd want if I'd purchased an Audi or Honda but to simply be ignored as if your problems are irrelevant or inconsequential is extremely frustrating.
If Ossa are serious about promoting their products in foreign markets they will need to get a grip on customer service.

bob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 10:05:09 AM »
I'm not getting any response from Ossa at all. I've phoned the factory-no answer. I've written to the factory - no answer. I've written to Ossa UK on eleven occasions and only had a response twice [one reply was to say that plastic parts aren't covered by warranty and the other was to say they'd contact me in a few days ] They never contacted me and my next three emails were ignored.
My emails haven't been rants, they've been rational requests for assistance and help. My bike is still out of commission and I think we 're rapidly approaching the point where it's going to be returned to Ossa as not 'fit for purpose'.
It's very frustrating when a manufacturer can't even get the basics of customer service right. All the issues I've had would have been very easy [and cheap] to resolve had Ossa responded in good time.
At this moment in time I can't see the Explorer as a viable long term proposition. Does anybody know who the head guy at Ossa is?