Author Topic: Transmission issue & Hello!  (Read 2817 times)

AM407

• View Profile
Transmission issue & Hello!
« on: April 09, 2014, 10:40:46 PM »
Hi, glad to find this resource on the web. Have had a 2012 Explorer since I purchased it second-hand last fall, but was just able to finally put some hours on it down in Moab this spring. It's my wife's bike and I'm happy to say she loves it! And of course I've had some fun playing around it on it as well.

Which brings me to the transmission issue... we put around 20 hours on it down in Moab (41 hours total on the bike now) and when I drained the oil at the end of the trip I found a couple of surprises stuck to the magnetic drain plug.

My wife said she didn't notice anything too out of the ordinary with the gearbox, but did say that it wouldn't upshift from 3rd once and on the last day she said she got a couple of false neutrals when she was sure 2nd had been selected. And of course neutral is a b!tch to find when running.

Any idea what these bits are? It looks like a clean break and doesn't appear to have been chewed up at all. I suppose I'll just have to take it into the shop for a proper look inside the transmission, but some info beforehand is always useful.

Lotus54

• View Profile
Re: Transmission issue & Hello!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 01:29:58 AM »
I've never been in the trans, but almost looks like some sort of stop...

The transmission comes out pretty easily (so I'm told) and could be sent off as a unit.
There are some tricks to removing, look here and I think they are all posted.

Mine isn't wonderful to find nuetral when running, but my KTM wasn't great either, or my Ducati for they matter.
I understand they made some real upgrades to the transmission for 2014 (which I have).
  I don't know about their policy of changing to the newer one.
It would be good if OSSA had some sort of trade in for transmissions though.

2014 OSSA Explorer

AM407

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 01:33:10 AM »
Thanks, I did find some info and pictures on removing the transmission. Doesn't look as complicated as I thought, so I think maybe I'll pull it apart myself and have a look. Has anyone bought a shop manual for these bikes? Does Ossa Canada sell them?

Worst case, I'll just put everything in a box and bring it to the dealer to have it put back together. I was going to take it to the shop anyway, so may as well poke around in there first and maybe learn something.

BigBadDon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 03:32:54 AM »
Those broken bits are part of the shift shaft assembly that fits into the shift drum.  Is it a 2012/2013? John at Carrier Centres carries an upgrade shift shaft assembly that is less prone to breakage.  My other post on the transmission R&R was to fix this exact same issue.

There is no repair manual.  Just various articles and a few forum posts.

AM407

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 03:59:12 AM »
Those broken bits are part of the shift shaft assembly that fits into the shift drum.  Is it a 2012/2013? John at Carrier Centres carries an upgrade shift shaft assembly that is less prone to breakage.  My other post on the transmission R&R was to fix this exact same issue.

There is no repair manual.  Just various articles and a few forum posts.

Yes, the bike is a 2012/13. Nice to know that someone has been down this road before me and the fix wasn't too complicated. Hopefully there weren't any more bits floating around in there causing damage and I can just replace the shift shaft assembly and be good as new.

It will be a couple weeks before I can get to it, but I'll keep this thread updated with my progress (hopefully) or use it to ask a bunch of stupid questions (likely).

Thanks!

Edit: Oops. I had read your transmission post before, but somehow missed the picture you posted of the broken bits. Yup, looks just like the bits I found too.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 04:05:05 AM by AM407 »

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 03:03:48 PM »
There is a service manual for the TR280i (trials version, so doesn't cover Explorer specifics)
Not a very good manual, but does cover engine/trans disassembly.

I ca email it,

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer

AM407

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 03:55:40 AM »
Thanks for the offer, but I think I found it on the net here: http://www.ossausa.com/parts/tech-tips/

AM407

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 07:54:15 PM »
Okay, so finally got a chance to tear into it but haven't got very far. Have the service manual, PDF from Ossa Canada and Don's tranny post in front of me.

First issue: how do you get the vent in front of the countershaft sprocket off? Appears to just be a friction fit, but I've pulled and twisted about as hard as I think is reasonable, and it will spin but not come off.

Second issue: who decided to put a 3mm head on those 5 transmission screws? I've tried two different 3mm Allen wrenches, and both just twist like cooked spaghetti without even budging those screws. PDF says to "drift each screw to release the blue loctite." I assume that means give them a tap? If so, did nothing for me. How the heck do you get these things out?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:38:25 PM by AM407 »

AM407

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 07:04:06 PM »
Finally got the last of those stupid transmission screws out! Broke or bent four Allen keys and finally had to use an EZ-out on the last screw because I had rounded the head to oblivion.  ::)

Sure enough, found a broken roller holder on the shift shaft assembly. Parts are ordered (new, upgraded shift shaft and upgraded drum assy. while I'm at it) and I will now be spending lots of time cleaning all the drill shavings and other junk from the transmission while i wait.

Next concern will be adjusting the shift spring regulator once I get it back together. I've seen a link to the video on how to do this (Engine Repair Part 3 GasGas "Pro" (Trials)), but every where I look I just get "Sorry, this video is private." I'm thinking it's a Facebook thing? Might have to finally join Facebook just to watch the video. Uggh.  :P

bob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 08:13:46 PM »
Heat is a wonderful thing to have in a workshop. If you come across a stubborn fastener a bit of heat from a plumbers blowtorch works wonders, most forms of Loctite will degrade with heat.
Ossa do have some strange ideas when it comes to fasteners and some of the sizes they use are inappropriate for the task in hand. The also seem to have an aversion to washers in certain applications , which makes no sense to me.

AM407

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 11:12:46 PM »
Yes, I had thought about applying some heat (I actually put a soldering iron tip onto the stubborn screw for a bit, but I think it did nothing). The screw is buried deep in the clutch basket and there is very little clearance, so I was worried about the flame hitting stuff I didn't want it to hit. Hopefully there is no "next time", but if there is, maybe I'll get one of those micro-torches to try out.

But my real mistake was trying to get the screws out without having the proper tool. As I said, regular Allen keys are useless. In the end, I had to hunt down a 1/4" drive short hex key (3/8" drive is too bulky to reach, and the long ones are too flexible to do anything!), but by then I had already done too much damage to the socket head on the one screw.

bob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 08:05:42 AM »
 Always worth remembering that when you're trying to free something off with heat the objective is to expand the material which surrounds the offending article. Alloy expands more than than steel and so directing heat at an alloy casting will loosen its grip on the fastener. Applying a soldering iron to a fastener could potentially make it tighten up.
When all else fails in such situations and you've resolved yourself to sacrificing the fastener to remove it, an old wood chisel can often sort the problem out . Put the chisel across the head of the fastener and give it a whack as if you are cutting a slot for a screwdriver. Carefully hold the chisel in the slot and tap the screw loose with judicious taps of the hammer.

AM407

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 02:00:43 AM »
Well, the saga continues...

Received all the parts and put the bike back together last week. With the bike on the stand and before the clutch went back in, I ran through all the gears a few times and she seemed to be shifting perfectly. Buttoned her back up and fired her up for a few trips up and down the alley. Got it up to fourth gear and everything was great.

So my wife and I head out for the weekend to finally go riding again. Had a couple hours of great singletrack and some hill climbs and the bike was fantastic.

Then we get to a gravel road and she hits fifth gear, no problem. Then sixth gear... and BAM!... rear wheel locks up instantly and bike comes to a skidding halt.  :(  Gearshift was stuck solid, but with a bit of wiggling managed to find a gear (2nd or 3rd?) for the long ride back.

So, just got it home and got it taken apart again. Surprisingly, all I found was a single dog tooth that had come off and was stuck to the drain plug. But it seems like the whole transmission is mis-aligned/out of whack, as nothing will spin more than 180 degrees in any gear. I'd have thought something was stuck in there, but it all looks clear.

So, time to source a new transmission and start the whole process over again.  ::)

AM407

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 04:58:47 AM »
Just to wrap this up...

Ossa Canada has been really good and sent me a new 2014 transmission, no questions asked. I haven't had a chance to send them the old transmission yet (will do that tomorrow), but so far they are saying it should be covered under warranty.

I finally got the bike put back together and just spent an incredible three days riding at Bear Creek in Kelowna (what a fantastic place!). The bike performed flawlessly, and my wife says it even shifts a bit better than it did when we first got it.

I changed the oil after five hours on the new transmission and found just the expected bit of fuzz. Hopefully we've got this figured out now and won't be having any more issues.

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 09:55:15 PM »
Good to hear it is resolved and even better under warranty!

I'm liking mine more every ride.

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer