Author Topic: Explorer gearing  (Read 925 times)

bob

• View Profile
Explorer gearing
« on: March 30, 2014, 06:41:05 PM »
I'm quite surprised nobody has mentioned the stock gearing on any of the threads. The 5 ultra-close trials ratios topped off by a very tall sixth gear can be quite a challenge to making smooth progress on the road, especially on a downchange from 6th to 5th to cope with a corner. The other problem is the stock gearing is way too short.

I've dropped to a 36 tooth rear and I feel the gearing is still too short for the road sections on long distance trials or indeed for a long day's riding over a mixture of trails and road. A 12t front would probably sort out the overall gearing and provide the 55 to 60mph speed required on the road but unfortunately the 12t isn't available after market [at least not in the UK] and a custom sprocket would need to be made.

Regarding the invidual gear ratios I'm considering having some gears made to improve the all round performance . In my opinion the Explorer would benefit from either a lower 6th gear and an increased secondary drive of say 13 x 36 or perhaps a higher 5th gear so there would be slightly larger jump from 4th  to 5th and then a similar jump from 5th to 6th.
The gearbox is a cassette type and changing a pair of gears shouldn't be too difficult. I've had gears made for race bikes in the past and it isn't too expensive. If anybody is interested let me know , it's a lot cheaper to have four or five sets made than it is for a custom one-off
Bob

Lotus54

• View Profile
Re: Explorer gearing
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 12:26:21 AM »
I cruised mine at 50mph easily in sixth, 60 would be easy I think.
But I don't go very long distances on the road at all- so temper my comments.

The only time I really notice it much is when fourth is too low and fifth too high.

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer

BigBadDon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 05:09:54 AM »
I heard that the factory was going to offer a "trail" transmission for the explorer, with more spaced out gears.  No clue if this is true or not though.   A better spread tranny is a great idea, because the bull low 1-2-3-4 is really only good for trials competition - not so great for the trails.

Since I converted mine for trials, and use it for trials competition, I wont be changing the gearbox.  My wifey will be using with the seat for trail riding, but she wont know the difference.

bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 08:39:22 AM »
I hope Ossa do offer a trail transmission because it would make the bike a lot more pleasant to ride on mixed road and trail terrain. Gas Gas fitted a wide ratio transmission to the Pampera and a Pampera is a lot more relaxing and less intense than the Explorer on long rides. The Explorer scores on the more technical trails of course but I think the Pampera strikes a very good balance.