Author Topic: Newbie introduction  (Read 1447 times)

bob

• View Profile
Newbie introduction
« on: March 28, 2014, 01:19:54 PM »
Hi All,
Just a quick note to introduce myself. I've got a 2014 Explorer which I use to lead guided trail rides in the UK. I think the bike is fantastic but it does have one or two issues and I wondered if anybody else has had similar experiences.
 The rear mudguard fractured off in the first couple of weeks of use, the side stand mounting bracket is starting to detach itself from the swingarm and the fuel filler neck has distorted making tank sealing a problem.
Does this sound familiar to anybody?

My bike gets quite a lot of use, currently it's out on the trails 2 or 3 times a week for seven hours at a time and each ride is usually about 70 to 80 miles in length. Apart from the issues mentioned [which are all fixable one way or another] the bike has been great and the core machine seems tough and dependable. It's the peripheral trail riding kit which seems to let the side down.

Regards, Bob

www.adventureride.co.uk

I've written a bit of stuff about the Ossa on my blog http://adventurerideblog.wordpress.com/

Lotus54

• View Profile
Re: Newbie introduction
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 01:27:46 PM »
I have not had those problems.
 My fuel cap leaks, but I'm thinking that is because the cap bottoms out on outer shoulder before the seal really touched.  It is too small and the black tank is hard to see, so I spill about 80% of the time when filling.

I think the only thing that vibrated loose is the bottom screw/collar for the kick start.
Only failure has been the chain tensioner return spring- and now the wires that are for the speed sensor. They broke at the connector- the computer side.
Fortunatly the company they makes those is only a couple of hours away and I mailed of off $10 later and all fixed.

I had removed the metal grab bar in the rear and put a soft strap- I don't think that would matter for the rear fender.

One other thing is the rear master tends to fill with mud. I took an older inner tube and wrapped around the master- that seems to have solved it.

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer

BigBadDon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 04:25:25 PM »
Hey Bob,

Sorry to say, I have not had those issues either on  my 2012. I have put my bike into "Trials Mode", so I don't use the explorer gas tank right now.

I agree with you, the plastics and small parts are quite a pain.  Side panels popping off, rear fender breaking off,  loosing the seat lock.  Supposedly the lower side of the gas tank is soft and can rupture - so that might be something else to check.

Don

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 06:10:55 PM »
Interesting.
 I've never lost a side panel or had the clips break. No rear fender or any plastics issues for the matter (except crappy cap seal).

A couple of broken wires though

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer

BigBadDon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 06:35:30 PM »
Must have had it fixed in 2014.  I know of a number of people with 2012s that have the similar problems.

bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 06:31:54 PM »
Mark, I reckon a suitably sized O ring located in the roof of your filler cap would prevent the cap bottoming and might solve your problem.
Bob

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 12:28:27 AM »
Bob, I think you are correct.
I just need to find one.

I live in a small town and finding anything oddball is difficult.
I tired cutting an O ring to fit but didn't get it right or glued properly.

Know a size that works?

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer

bob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 07:34:17 AM »
Hi Mark,
I have one of these kits under the workbench and I can usually find something suitable. They're so cheap it's worth buying one in. This is a link to a UK supplier but there's bound to be something similar available in your part of the world.
If you want to make an o ring up out of some o ring material the tip is to cut the material at 45 degrees and use a blob of superglue.
Bob

http://www.alanwadkinstoolstore.co.uk/accessories-c3/trailer-fittings-c199/metric-o-ring-workshop-kit-419-pieces-p2951?gclid=CN60-JefvL0CFYMSwwodEJsApQ#3999

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 03:33:13 PM »
Good idea.
 I found one on eBay that is close and ordered.
Thanks!
Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer