Author Topic: Twisted Engineering flex bars  (Read 2311 times)

Lotus54

• View Profile
Twisted Engineering flex bars
« on: January 14, 2014, 12:48:43 AM »
Since I'm trail riding the  Explorer, riding with enduro bikes with over twice the suspension travel...I thought some flex bars may help out.
Especially toward the end of the day as I get tired. I have noticed quite a bit of force coming through the bars in the rough stuff.

twisted Engineering makes some composite bars. They have an aluminum sleeve where it mounts  and where the hand controls mount. They flex in all directions.

I wasn't sure about the bend, but the one I picked was actually darn close to stock. A bit more sweep,back and angle down, but not much.

A quick ride and I can certainly notice them flexing, but it just feels like and extra cushion- like the suspension is working better. dropping the front wheel eel down hard before gave a pretty good jolt, now it is damped nicely.
I'm sure a pro trials rider wouldn't like the flex, but I'm a LONG way from even a novice trials rider. It didn't seem to make it harder to pop the front end up or anything, but I suppose it will slightly damp the input also.

Weighs about the same as stock, or just a touch lighter.

I'll post up more after I take a long ride and see how it really works.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:35:52 PM by Lotus54 »
2014 OSSA Explorer

BigBadDon

• View Profile
Re: Twisted Engineering flex bars
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 05:56:47 AM »
I am interested to see how this works out for you.  I have flexbars on my KTM and they do help my wrists.

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »
I've done a couple of rides with the Twisted Engineering flex bars.
One ride I was pretty tired at the end (back after dark) so was a good test.

I can certainly feel the extra Cush the bars give. Hard hits, square edged pot holes or steps or just going quickly over rough ground. They really helped toward the end of the day- much. Less stress on the hands, wrists, arms.

But something I didn't think about- with the stock bars I could preload the front with a sharp push on the bars and shift weight back to bring the font end up. The push down is damped also! So, it takes more push, or do it (probably more properly anyway) with my legs rather than through the bars.
I found after riding an hour or two I didn't really think abut it anymore and did use my legs more and keep my hands light on the bars.

So at first I wasn't so sure- but after a couple of good rides I think they are a winner.
I would certainly recommend them on a enduro bike that you probably are just using the mass power to pop the front end up- but in any case a little style change and it does definately help with less strain on the arms.

The bend I got is ok for the OSSA- I actually liked the stock bend a bit better, but rotating them forward and there were pretty close.

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer

BigBadDon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 04:04:43 AM »
Cool - I am glad the bars worked out for you.  I dont have flex bars on my ossa, but when I want to pull up the front, I load the front with a knee drop (a la Ryan Young 
Ryan young trilas training video (wheelie)
) - I suppose a lot of the force of loading is through the bars.

anyways - glad you got it figured out.

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 04:17:46 AM »
Yes, that's pretty much how I'm doing it now.
  I was putting more input into the bars before.

Probably improving my technique due to the new bars (?)
2014 OSSA Explorer