Author Topic: Already Broke the Tranny!  (Read 3330 times)

BigBadDon

• View Profile
Already Broke the Tranny!
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:12:22 AM »
4 hrs on the explorer and I already broke the tranny.

I noticed that the clutch was slowly disengaging less and less.  The lever not able to go in as far as normal.  The clutch  dragging was getting worse and worse.  The clutch was not spongy, so I did not think it was the MC. Mistake #1 - I should have taken it to the shop right away. But, me and some buddies were running a few sections and I kept going.  Then it completely stopped disengaging.   I had to get back to the truck so I jammed it in gear and limped back to the truck - Mistake number 2, don't force things.

I called Adrian, and explained the behaviour.  He said it was likely the dealer did not locktite a tranny nut (called the the clutch fixer nut) when they did the recall work on the 2012 OSSA explorers.   So he gave me some tips on removing the clicth cover, and I also found a couple of guides from OSSA Canada.  So I started to take out the tranny by first draining the oil.  Ooops - there were some busted parts on the magnetic drain plug. Things were not looking good.

I pulled the clutch cover an immediately saw the clutch problem. Adrian was right, the clutch fixer nut had completely come off.  But I still had to pull the tranny so found out what I broke.  Thank god the OSSA has a cartridge tranny - super easy to remove with the engine in the bike.  Anyways, I pulled it out, go it on the bench and disassembled the shifter assembly and found that I broke one of the delicate roller holders on the shift lever assembly.

After much phoning around - I got a hold of John at OSSA Canada.  He was going to be in Calgary and had the spare part on hand.  But after visiting Dave at GasGas pacific - they just happened to have TWO shift rod assemblies for an OSSA sitting in a box. Happy boy.

So got her back home, did some R&R and put her all back together - works like a champ!

Some key points about the OSSA tranny:

#1 - if you are pulling the tranny - IT MUST BE IN GEAR.  Otherwise something very bad will happen.  Not sure what, but everybody says this.

#2 - when removing the tranny make sure to remove the clutch fixer nut.  This is NOT listed in the PDF from OSSA Canada.   The nut is a LEFT HAND THREAD and is found  inside the clutch housing.  You have to hold the opposite side of the clutch fixer rod, by inserting a torx in the opposite side of the engine (ever wonder what that little breather hose is just ahead of the engine chain sprocket?  it allows air to escape from the plunger of the clutch, but also allows you to insert a torx to hold the clutch fixer rod)

#3 - when pulling the clutch cover a thrust washer over the kick start will pop off and get inside the engine.  If you are removing the tranny - no big deal.  But if you are just removing the clutch, its best to lean the bike way over towards you so it falls on the ground, and not in the engine.

#3b - the clutch salve cylinder thrust bearing and washer will probably fall off too.

#4 - if you do anything to the tranny you will probably have to adjust the gear selector "shift spring regulator".  The GasGas clutch video shows how to do this: 
Engine repair part 3, GASGAS "PRO" (TRIALS)
    see about 7:00

#5 - dont worry about the clutch centering tool, just make sure the diaphragm spring is centered when re-installing.

THANKS  TONS TO:
Adrian at OSSA USA (LewisSport)
Dave at GasGas Pacific
Andrew at GasGas Pacific
John at OSSA Canada
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 01:31:39 AM by BigBadDon »

BigBadDon

• View Profile
Re: Already Broke the Tranny!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 01:29:18 AM »
Tranny bits found on the magnetic drain plug.

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 01:53:22 AM »
Wow, too bad it happened - but glad you got to back going quickly.
All covered under warranty, yes?

That brings up a thought- might be good to get a listing of all recalls, to make sure that have been done.

A lot bigger deal than my fist failure at 40+ hours of a broken chain tensioner spring.

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer

BigBadDon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 01:58:26 AM »
The open clutch showing the clutch fixer nut.

BigBadDon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 01:59:24 AM »
The tranny

BigBadDon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 01:59:56 AM »
Broken shift assembly

BigBadDon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 02:00:29 AM »
Shift spring regulator

BigBadDon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 02:01:21 AM »
Access to the other side of the clutch fixer rod

BigBadDon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 02:06:26 AM »
Wow, too bad it happened - but glad you got to back going quickly.
All covered under warranty, yes?

I didn't even try warranty.  The dealer who made the mistake, is over 1600km away - a little too far to get a nut screwed back on.  Besides, I dont trust them.  I know my quality of work.  Since it was just to put back on a nut (with locktite) - I wasn't even going to bother with any of that effort.

The broken shifter was my fault.  Its a lesson to never to force things.

I have been working on engines (among other things) for a very long time, so this stuff is pretty easy to do in my own shop.  Lots of good help from Adrian and Andrew on the OSSA specific tips and tricks.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:46:31 AM by BigBadDon »

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 05:13:18 AM »
I understand.
  I remember when had a Benelli 750 sei and the transmission had a major recall.
The importer sent me all the parts and I installed the trans myself. Actually pretty fun.
That was before I was a dealer.

Sure glad to hear you got it fixed up and going!

That vent on the newer bikes is a plug.
They changed the crankcase to give a larger couple of oil and moved the vent tube.

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer