Author Topic: Annoying Kickstand  (Read 1510 times)

BigBadDon

• View Profile
Annoying Kickstand
« on: January 07, 2014, 04:41:08 PM »
In Canada, and I think the US, all street legal bikes must have a safety kickstand that retracts as soon as the weight is lifted off the bike.  I am very used to the old style, where the kick stand stays down until you kick it up.

I am happy to see OSSA left both posts (where the spring mounts) on the kick stand support so that it could be reverted to the old style.  I needed to cut off one post to make it work smoothly.

In picture 1, it shows the two posts (where the spring mounts)

In picture 2, it shows the spring mounted to the forward post, with the rear post removed.

Lotus54

• View Profile
Re: Annoying Kickstand
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 02:53:25 AM »
The bike isn't 50 state street legal in the states, so I think it is actually a Euro street requirement.
Either auto retract or a lockout.
   I had Ducatis that were the same way.

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 03:48:07 AM »
Funny, but I sort of like the kick stand retracting.

The KTM I would always use the little rubber gizmo after having a bolt loosen once...
At least I know the stand is up and locked in place- I just walk around to pull the stand down.

But I understand how you could find it annoying

Mark
2014 OSSA Explorer

BigBadDon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 05:36:46 AM »
Yeah - Jay likes the auto retract kickstand on the OSSA too.

I find that I am a creature of habit. I always seem to get off and on the right side (just like a horse!).  I think if the kickstand was on the right side I would not have any issue.  I put up with the auto-retract KTM kick stand for years.

Lotus54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »
Hmmm, last I checked the kickstand IS on the right side!

But I understand what you say, I usually get off on the left- maybe partly because lots of the  bikes I grew up with had left side kick starts, so I would start them standing beside the bike.
 Strangely, on the Explorer I still get off on the left most of the time and walk around to put down the stand.
You would think I could just get off on the right...
2014 OSSA Explorer

BigBadDon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 04:17:22 PM »
I meant left.  And I am too old to switch.

sweetgas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 07:54:42 PM »
The problem with the auto retract is that it scratches and dings the swing arm. I usually guide the kick stand up with my foot at the time of my choosing so that it doesn't bang. So I don't like the auto either. Thanks for pointing this out. I am going to make this mod right now haha.
My biggest problem with the kick stand is that it is almost vertical with the bike. All my other trials bike kick stand's reach out a good 4 inches more, offering more stability in loose dirt.